University Policies & Registration Procedures

  • Academic Standing at BW

    The criteria to measure academic performance is the semester and the cumulative grade point averages (GPA), computed on the basis of that portion of the student's coursework which is graded on a letter-grade basis.

    There are four categories of academic performance recognized by the University:

    Good Standing — Students who are making satisfactory progress toward the completion of their degree requirements and whose semester and cumulative GPA meet the University's minimum levels of acceptable performance (see below). A minimum 2.000 GPA is required for graduation.

    Academic Alert — Full-time students whose cumulative GPA has fallen below the minimum levels of acceptable performance for the first time (see table below), or new full-time students who earn a first semester GPA between 1.201 - 1.699.

    Academic Probation — Full-time students whose cumulative GPA has fallen below the minimum levels of acceptable performance for a second time (see table below), or new full-time students who earn a first semester GPA between 0.500 - 1.200.

    Academic Suspension — Students that fail to meet the conditions of their Academic Contract, or full-time students earning a semester GPA of 0.499 or below will be placed on Academic Suspension. Students suspended will have their permission to register revoked. Once suspended, individuals must remain on suspension for a minimum of one academic semester (Fall or Spring) before applying to be reinstated. Students who are placed on Academic Suspension at the end of the Spring semester may not take summer classes.

    With respect to these criteria, there are a series of plateaus to allow time for adjustment to the expectations of the University. The minimum levels of acceptable performance are:

    Hours Attempted or Earned (whichever is greater) Minimum Cumulative GPA for Good Standing
    1 - 11.5 N/A
    12 - 24.5 1.700
    25 - 40.5 1.800
    41 - 56.5 1.900
    57+ 2.000
  • Advanced (A/AS) Level Examinations

    Baldwin Wallace University recognizes Advanced (A) or Advanced Subsidiary (AS) Level Examinations administered by Cambridge International Assessment (CIA), Pearson-Edexcel, Oxford International AQA, The Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA), and The Oxford, Cambridge & RSA Examinations (OCR). AS-Levels are awarded 4 semester credits for grades "a" through "e". A-Levels are awarded 8 semester credits for grades "A*" through "E". Official score reports must be submitted to Baldwin Wallace University Admissions Office before credit can be applied to a student's academic record.

  • Advanced Placement (AP)

    Baldwin Wallace University recognizes the merits of the Advanced Placement Program and awards credit as appropriate. Students who present a score of 3, 4 or 5 in the Advanced Placement Program examination may be awarded credit, with placement and course equivalents determined by the academic department.

    The program is administered by the Registrar who processes credit awards and notifies students concerning application of credit and placement.

    AP examination scores prepared by the College Entrance Examination Board in the following subjects will be considered for credit at Baldwin Wallace. See additional information here:

    • Art History
    • Studio Art
    • Biology
    • Chemisty
    • Computer Science
    • Economics
    • English Literature
    • English Composition
    • French
    • German
    • Government & Politics
    • History (American, European & Modern World)
    • Latin
    • Mathematics
    • Physics
    • Psychology
    • Spanish
  • Address, Phone, Email Changes

    Address, Phone Number, and E-mail changes can be done via the Request for Change of Record form on BW Central. No additional documentation is required for contact information changes.

  • Applying for Graduation/Commencement

    To graduate from Baldwin Wallace, students must fill out an application to graduate. Online applications are available on the students My Records menu by clicking Graduation Overview. Undergraduate students should complete this application two terms in advance, and graduate students should complete this application at least one term in advance.

    To graduate students must also fulfill all academic degree requirements. Students must have completed the minimum designated credit amount of their degree program, have a GPA of 2.00 or above, complete at least one major and one minor, and complete the University Core Curriculum and general university requirements.

    To walk at Commencement, student plans must show that their progress is fully planned and remaining requirements are in-progress for the semester in which they wish to graduate.

    Additional Commencement information can be found at the following link:

  • Audit

    Courses are offered for credit or audit. Grades are not given for non-credit (audit) work. A student who desires a grade in a course must take it for credit. A student taking a course on an audit basis will agree with the course instructor to participate in certain aspects of the course (often this is class attendance). If this agreement is fulfilled, the course instructor will authorize the registrar to indicate on the student's transcript that the course was taken on an audit basis. Changes from audit to credit may not be made after the first week of the semester. Audited courses do not count toward any degree requirements.

    The Audit form can be found on BW Central.

  • Alumni Audit

    Graduates of BW are welcome to contact the Registrar's Office at (440) 826-2126 for information on registering for available seats the Friday before first day of each semester. The seats and course choices are limited, but Alumni Audit affords local graduates a chance to expand their knowledge. Fees for Alumni Audit are non-refundable and must be paid prior to the start of class. Registration must be completed in person. Master of Accountancy courses must be approved by the Chair of the Department of Accounting & Finance.

  • Chosen Name/Pronouns

    Chosen name/pronoun change requests can be filed via BW Central using the Chosen Name/Pronoun form.  These requests can only be processed for current chosen first name or pronouns for current students, faculty, and staff. Chosen names may not be used for the purpose of misrepresentation. Click here to review the full Chosen Name/Pronoun Policy.

    Use of Chosen Name

    The Baldwin Wallace office of Registration and Records will update your chosen name in the Student Information System (SIS). Chosen names will not be used on official university record documents including: enrollment verification, degree verification, transcripts, etc. In order to use the chosen name on any of these forms, the student must go through the name change process with Registration and Records and/or Human Resources.

    If you change your name in the middle of the semester, every effort will be made to inform instructors, but it is recommended that the student also notify instructors of the change.

    Your chosen name will substitute for your primary/legal name in the following areas.

    • Advising, class, and grade rosters
    • Directory information
    • Canvas
    • Campus portals


    Use of Chosen Pronoun

    The Baldwin Wallace office of Registration and Records will update your chosen pronouns in the Student Information System (SIS). Your personal pronoun will appear in:

    • Class rosters


    Use of Legal Name

    BW is required to use your legal name on:

    • Transcripts
    • Diplomas
    • Financial aid and billing documents
    • Federal, state, or municipal documents (i9, W2, etc.)
    • Official university documents an communications


    Use of Chosen Name in Email

    Updates to you chosen name do not automatically generate and update in your email address. To have your email reflect your name change, please submit a request to the BW helpdesk at after receiving approval of name change from Registration and Records. These changes cannot be made in the middle of a semester.


    Use of Chosen Name on ID Cards

    Once the office of Registration and Records approves a name change, students may request a replacement Jacket Express ID Card showing their chosen name from Campus Access Services.

  • Class Standing

    Class standing (freshman, sophomore, etc.) is determined by the total number of credits earned by the student.

    Class Level Required Number of Credits
    Freshman 0 - 24.5
    Sophomore 25 -56.5
    Junior 57 - 90.5
    Senior 91+
  • College Level Exam Program (CLEP)

    CLEP, an activity of the College Board, makes examinations available through which a student may receive credit toward the bachelor's degree. Two types of examinations are offered: General Examinations (Humanities, Natural Sciences and Social Sciences) and a number of subject examinations ranging from American Government through Western Civilization. Baldwin Wallace University requires a passing CLEP score of at least 50.

    The faculty of the University recognizes the merits of CLEP and is prepared to make the awards to those students who qualify.

    In order to qualify for credit in any of the examinations offered in CLEP, the student must meet each of the following requirements:

    1. The student may not receive credit for a general examination if they have already earned University credit in more than one discipline covered by the appropriate General Examination.
    2. The student may not receive credit for a subject examination that covers the same subject area in which the student has already earned University credit.

    CLEP credit is considered transfer credit.

    Further information concerning the details of the various examinations, score requirements, and registration procedures is available here.

  • D Grades

    Students cannot graduate from BW if they have more than 4 credits of D grades in any of their majors. Departments count D credits towards the total in different ways:

    Major Department Applicable D Grades
    ART All courses count
    ASW All courses count
    BIO All courses count
    BUS Only courses in departments in the School of Business count
    CHM Only CHM courses count
    CRJ All courses count
    CSC All courses count
    CSD Only CSD courses count
    CAS All courses (except for pre-requisites) count
    DMDS All courses count
    ECN Only ECN courses count
    EDU All courses count. No D grades are allowed in courses with the EDU prefix. This policy does not apply to AYA and Multi-Age teaching areas. Teaching areas follow the policy of the  corresponding departments.
    ENG All courses count
    HIS All courses count
    INT All courses count
    MTH All courses count
    MUC (Instrumentalist, Voice, Keyboard, Theory, History and Literature, Composition, Liberal Arts) All courses count
    MUC (Musical Theatre) All music, THE, and ASW courses count
    MUC (Music Therapy) All music & PSY courses count
    MUC (Education) All music & EDU courses count
    NRO All courses count
    OGLS All courses count
    PHL All courses count
    PHT Only PHT courses count
    PHY Only PHY courses count
    POL All courses count
    PSY All courses count
    REL All courses count
    SOC All courses count
    SUS All courses count
    THE All courses count
    WLL Only courses in the primary language count
  • Dean's List

    Degree-seeking undergraduate students with superior academic standing are recognized each semester by the Dean. Any full-time student who achieves a GPA of at least 3.8 for twelve or more graded hours (not including grades of S), or part-time student who achieves a GPA of at least 3.8 for six or more graded hours (not including grades of S), in the Fall or Spring semester will be placed on the Dean's List. To be eligible for the Dean's List, no student may have a grade of U (unsatisfactory), I (incomplete), NR (non-reported), or WX (withdraw failing) as of the day final grades are due in the Registrar's Office.

  • Drop Course

    Dropping a course removes the course from your schedule. The course is NOT assigned a W grade and will not appear in your records or on your transcript.

    Students may drop a full semester course during the first week of the term and before the first Wednesday of the first week for minimester courses.

    See the Academic Calendar for exact dates.

  • Dual Degrees

    In order to earn a dual degree (a BA and BS, BM and BMEd, etc.), students must complete 150 total credit hours, which is 30 hours beyond the usual 120 required to graduate. Students following a catalog from 2018 or before must complete at least 156 total credit hours or 32 hours beyond the 124 required to graduate.

    Students cannot earn two degrees in the same field (ex. a BM and BA in Music), and all graduation requirements must be met for each degree.

  • FERPA- Education Records

    Education records are kept by University offices to facilitate the educational development of students. Faculty and staff members may also keep informal records relating to their functional responsibilities with individual students. The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 identifies the rights of students and their families with respect to student education records kept by institutions. As part of the requirements of FERPA, the University has Guidelines for Students, Faculty & Staff Relating to Educational Records. See additional information here.

  • Financial Holds

    Students with financial holds are not eligible to register, or receive official transcripts or their diploma, unless authorized by the Bursar's Office. However, students with financial holds are eligible to receive a letter confirming attendance, degrees, or GPA.

  • Grade Forgiveness

    You may retake any undergraduate course, that was previously completed at Baldwin Wallace University, only once for grade forgiveness. The repeated attempt must also be completed at Baldwin Wallace University. The total number of grade forgiveness credit hours (attempted a second time) shall not exceed 10 and may only apply toward 300 or lower level courses. Credits forgiven under the old Freshman Forgiveness Policy will count toward the maximum 10 credits in this policy. If a course is not offered again, a substitute course may not be used.

    The grade that you earned on your first attempt will be included in your GPA until the second attempted grade is earned. At that time the first attempt will be designated with an * sign on your transcript and the credit hours for the course will be changed to 0 [zero]. The first grade will no longer be used in the calculation of your GPA, but will remain on your transcript. Your GPA will be calculated with the grade obtained in the second attempt, even if it is lower than the first attempt.

    A repeated course may increase the total number of credits required for graduation. Federal regulations allow a student to do one repetition per class and count it towards your enrollment status for Financial Aid purposes.

    If you were placed on academic alert, probation or suspension due to your poor grade(s), this notation will remain on your transcript, regardless of the grades you subsequently earn in the course you decide to retake. Moreover, if you were placed on suspension, you must be away from the college for at least one semester before you may apply for reinstatement. By initialing and signing the grade forgiveness form, you confirm that you understand that the academic sanctions that you were given are not removed from your transcript.

    Courses that act as the prerequisite for a sequence of courses may not apply toward grade forgiveness if the subsequent course is completed. Example: SPN-201 is the prerequisite for SPN-202. If SPN-202 is completed students may not then go back and complete SPN-201 for grade forgiveness.

    The Grade Forgiveness form is available on BW Central.

  • Graduating with Latin Honors

    Honors are based on all undergraduate work at Baldwin Wallace. Candidates for academic honors at the end of the senior year are recognized at Commencement. Eligibility is determined by the completion of the minimum designated credit amount of their degree program with the following minimum grade point averages:

    Latin Honor Minimum Cumulative GPA
    Cum laude 3.60
    Magna cum laude 3.75
    Summa cum laude 3.90

    In order to receive a diploma with academic honors, a student must have completed at least 45 credit hours at Baldwin Wallace in courses graded A+ through F. Transfer students are eligible to graduate with honors provided their grade point average earned at Baldwin Wallace meets the stated minimum requirements.

    Latin honors are not available for graduate degrees.

  • Incomplete (I) Grades

    The mark "I" is given only when, through no fault of his/her own, a student is unable to complete the work. It is the responsibility of the student to inform the instructor why he/she is unable to complete the work, and the instructor shall determine whether the mark "I" is justifiable. Students receiving an "I" Incomplete grade have up to the end of week six, of the immediate subsequent Fall or Spring semester, to complete all coursework before they are converted to a grade of "F". The My Records grading tool will require a projected date of completion. Instructors can extend that date in the My Records grading tool.

  • Independent Study

    An Independent Study is an individualized academic investigation carried out by students under faculty supervision; designed to encourage the study of academic topics beyond those included in the course offerings of the University, and to develop a facility for independent thought and research. To register for independent study courses students must file an Independent Study Form signed by the supervising professor and the department chair with the Registrar's Office during the first five days of the semester. Students must have a 2.0 GPA and sophomore standing.

    Independent Study projects where credits total more than four hours in a semester require the approval of the academic dean prior to registration. No more than 20 semester hours total (and no more than 10 hours in a single academic department) may be counted toward the minimum credits required for graduation.

    Approved independent study proposals may not duplicate a course presently in the curriculum without permission of the department. Any full-time or part-time student who is in good standing (that is, not on probation) may participate in an approved independent study.

    Independent study projects may run more than one semester and will be considered completed upon presentation of an oral or written report or other demonstration of proficiency as established by the department. The quality of the student's performance will be evaluated on an S/U basis by the supervising faculty member. Students have the option of having their independent study project graded on the A+ through F system. The students' choice of the A+ through F system must meet the approval of the supervising faculty member. The students must declare their intent concerning the grading system to the registrar upon submitting their registration form.

    The independent study form is available on BW Central.

  • Interdepartmental Major/Minor

    An interdepartmental major may be arranged in consultation with the chairs of the departments concerned. Interdepartmental majors must include coursework from at least three departments and a minimum of 36 credit hours, of which at least 15 must be at the 300-400 level. Written copies of the agreement specifying the requirements for the interdepartmental major must be signed by the chairs of all involved departments and filed with both the Office of Registration and Records and your academic advisor. This request must be made prior to earning 91 semester credits towards a degree at Baldwin Wallace.

    An interdepartmental minor may be arranged in consultation with the chairs of the departments concerned. Interdepartmental minors must include coursework from two departments and a minimum of 17 credit hours, of which 9 must be at the 300-400 level. Written copies of the agreement specifying the requirements for the interdepartmental minor must be signed by the heads of these departments and filed with both the Office of Registration and Records and the student's academic advisor. This request must be made prior to the students earning 91 semester credits towards a degree at Baldwin Wallace.

    The Interdepartmental Major & Minor forms can be found on BW Central.

  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

    Baldwin Wallace University recognizes the merit of the International Baccalaureate Program and awards credit as appropriate for higher level examinations on which the student scores a 5, 6 or 7. The following subjects will be considered for credit at Baldwin Wallace. See additional information here:

    • Art Appreciation
    • Biology
    • Business & Management
    • Chemistry
    • Economics
    • English Language
    • English Literature
    • Film
    • History (Americas, etc.)
    • Music
    • Philosophy
    • Psychology
    • Physical Education
    • Physical Science
    • Visual Arts
    • World Languages
  • International Student Credit

    International students must submit their transcripts to the World Educational Service (WES). WES translates the transcript and forwards it to Baldwin Wallace. The Registrar then decides how the courses and credits on the transcript transfer into Baldwin Wallace.

  • Internships

    In order to register for the Internship, students must obtain the Agreement and Registration forms from the Office of Career Services. Internships may be added through the first nine weeks of the semester.

    Internship projects are defined as individualized professionally-oriented experiences undertaken with faculty to supplement or complement the student's academic program. Student projects involve working in structured institutional settings such as art galleries, hospitals, museums, religious, social or political institutions, with sport, recreational, or wellness programs, or industrial, educational or research organizations. Note that internship differs from independent study, which is an individualized academic investigation conducted by the student under faculty supervision. Departmental participation in the Internship Program is optional.

    A student participating in the program must be at least a sophomore with a 2.0 GPA or better, must complete the internship workshop organized by the Office of Career Services and meet the criteria established by the department/division and the Office of Career Services for the successful completion of an internship.

    The number of credits that may be proposed and earned for an internship is based on the actual number of hours worked; a minimum of 45 clock hours on the job equals one semester credit hour.

    Registration for field internship credit must have the prior approval of the faculty coordinator, department chair, employer supervisor, and the Office of Career Services. Internship paperwork must be turned in to the Office of Career Services within the first two weeks of starting the experience. Award of credit is based on the successful completion of the requirements as established by the faculty coordinator, employer, and student in cooperation with the Office of Career Services. Internships are graded S/U, except for ASW 497X and SPM 497X.

    The approval of the Independent Study/Off-Campus Experience Committee is required whenever an individual wishes to attempt an internship, independent study, or a combination of the two, that exceeds 12 credits in any single semester.

    No more than 13 credit hours earned in internships may be counted toward the minimum credits required for graduation. Exceptions to this limit may be approved by the Independent Study/Off-Campus Experience Committee.

    Credit earned in the internship may not be used to satisfy the University core requirements. Departments/Divisions determine whether or not credits earned in internships may be applied toward completion of a major.

    Most internships are assigned course numbers of 297. 397, or 497. However, some specific field or clinical experiences are offered under a course number designated by a Department/Division. Examples include: EDU 417 Student Teaching – Early Childhood, EDU 418 Student Teaching – Middle School, PSY 373 Clinical Experience, and PSY 473 Clinical Experience.

    Course assistants are undergraduate students who work with a BW faculty member in the planning and implementation of a class. Students working as course assistants are required to meet all the expectations of the Internship Program if they are to receive credit. As in other internships, course assistants must have an employer (in-class supervisor) as well as a faculty coordinator and meet other criteria established by the department/division and the Office of Career Services. Credit for internship as a course assistant is designated under the 296, 396 or 496 numbers.

    Participation in the Internship Program is an opportunity that carries with it responsibilities. Student participants are considered representatives of Baldwin Wallace University. The University expects exemplary professional conduct and a student action or behavior which is unacceptable will result in termination of the internship and may lead to institutional sanctions.

    Additional information available at:

  • Military Call to Active Duty

    Baldwin Wallace University will be as supportive and accommodating as possible for those students who must withdraw in a given semester because they have been called to active military duty. Exceptions to this policy are determined by the Provost's Office.

    Those students who are members of the National Guard and Reserve forces of the United States have obligations that may include regularly occurring drill as well as activations under Title 10 U.S.C. and Title 32 U.S.C.

    We understand that members of these forces have unique commitments and obligations when called upon, either by the President of the United States or the Governor of the State of Ohio. We remain committed to supporting our students who have made and continue to honor these commitments while working to attain academic success.

    Below is an outline of required steps for students who are serving in the National Guard or Reserve forces. Depending on the activation date and the judgment of individual faculty, the student has several options regarding the completion of coursework.

    Regular Drill Weekend Commitments

    Students are expected to communicate their monthly drill requirements with their professors at the start of each semester. This will ensure early planning can occur for any anticipated missed coursework.

    If it is anticipated that a regular drill weekend will be extended to include a school day, students must communicate this as soon possible to their faculty.

    Short Term Activations Under Title 10 or Title 32 [5-14 Days]

    Students are expected to communicate with their professors when they anticipate an activation lasting between 5 and 14 days.

    Students should work with professors to complete any anticipated missed work.

    Each program and class is different; therefore, it may not be possible to complete certain coursework such as labs, performances, etc., in advance or at a later date. Students and faculty should work together to determine the impact of missed work on a case-by-case basis.

    Long term Activations Under Title 10 or Title 32 [15 Days or Greater]

    Any student who is called to active military duty for a period greater than 15 days should present his/her active-duty orders to the Office of the Provost.

    Students facing long term activations have additional options to pursue if coursework cannot be completed successfully based on the length of the activation.

    1. A student may request a withdrawal. The withdrawal will be retroactive to the beginning of the term. A student may do a complete withdrawal resulting in all tuition charges removed. A student may do a partial withdrawal, receiving "W" grades in some courses. Full-time students will not receive a refund if the "W" grades result in part-time status. A student may request an Incomplete* to be decided by individual instructors. There will not be any tuition adjustment for courses assigned "I" grades and the student will have six weeks into the next term of enrollment to complete the "I" grade. The Registrar may permit an extension of the six weeks on a case-by-case basis. This option is best utilized if the activation comes in the final few weeks of a semester. Requesting an incomplete in the fall semester often proves difficult for a student to complete the work while also working on spring semester courses. Students should discuss the use of this option with each of their professors to ensure completion of the work.
    2. A student may request an Incomplete* to be decided by individual instructors. There will not be any tuition adjustment for courses assigned "I" grades and the student will have six weeks into the next term of enrollment to complete the "I" grade. The Registrar may permit an extension of the six weeks on a case-by-case basis. This option is best utilized if the activation comes in the final few weeks of a semester. Requesting an incomplete in the fall semester often proves difficult for a student to complete the work while also working on spring semester courses. Students should discuss the use of this option with each of their professors to ensure completion of the work.
    3. A student may request final grades at the discretion of individual faculty members. Faculty and students would also have the option of turning the grade into satisfactory/unsatisfactory if departure occurs prior to final exams. Tuition is not adjusted.

    In all of the above cases, all room charges will be prorated. The University would not charge a student carrying charges on back balances while he/she is in the military.

    Students called to active military duty should also contact the manager of the Veteran and Military Services Office at 440-826-5920. The manager can assist with questions about activations outside of standard drill weekends or the options listed above and can provide information about taking courses through the Acadeum College Consortium* platform while on extended deployments or when returning from deployment during a semester.

    *Baldwin Wallace University offers select online courses from fellow regionally accredited Council of Independent Colleges through Acadeum. Students may seek permission to enroll in a pre-approved list of consortium courses from partnering institutions to continue making academic progress when a deployment interferes with degree completion.

  • Military Credit

    Policy on Military Credit

    Students applying to Baldwin Wallace University should submit copies of their DD Form 214 and any official military transcripts detailing their training or education. Baldwin Wallace University awards up to 25 hours of college credit to honorably discharged veterans for qualifying military service or course work. Military reservists and National Guard members are awarded up to 12 credits for Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training.

    Student veterans discharged from service under honorable conditions, as noted on their DD Form 214, may receive the full 25 hours of college credit. This includes 8 credits of ASW equivalent coursework that fulfills the university core wellness requirement and 17 credits of general elective credit. Military training documented via the student's American Council of Education (ACE) transcript may have specific equivalencies substituted toward the 17 general elective credits. Student veterans discharged for other reasons may earn 8 ASW credits to fulfill their core wellness requirement if they have completed basic training.

    Students who serve as members of the military reserves or National Guard will receive 8 credits of ASW equivalent coursework that fulfills the university core wellness requirement for their completed Basic Training. Reservists and National Guard members may also receive an additional 4 credits for completed Advanced Individual Training.

    Students that attend other military institutions or academies (Air Force Academy, etc.) may earn credits beyond those awarded from their ACE & DD Form 214 records. These institutions are awarded credit following the general transfer policies of Baldwin Wallace University. Limitations of transfer credit or equivalencies may apply in accordance with the University transfer policies.

    Academic Waiver for Overseas Deployments

    Students with at least 9 months of overseas deployments, international duty stations, or sea service, according to their DD Form 214, may receive a waiver from the university international core requirement. Partial waiver of the international core requirement may apply for foreign or sea service exceeding 4 months.

  • Name Changes

    Current students can change their legal name by filling out the "Request for Change of Record" form via BW Central. A government ID or court order showing their new name must be attached.

    Chosen names can be changed without presenting an ID. Please see the "Chosen Name/Pronouns" section above.

  • Non-Course Credit

    Baldwin Wallace offers credit for some non-course experiences.

    Cisco: Students who receive a Cisco Career Certification for Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) are awarded credit for CSC 270 (Data Communication Concepts, 3 cr.) and CSC 290 (Computer Networks, 3 cr.).

    Prior Learning Assessment: Students with significant work/life experience can petition to receive credit reflecting those experiences. Students create a portfolio demonstrating their work and present it to a faculty committee who decide exactly which courses and how many credits the student has earned for their experience.

  • Overload Approval

    Students may register for up to 18 credits in fall/spring terms and 15 credits in summer without seeking special permission. In order to schedule more than this amount, students must have a 3.000 cumulative GPA and the recommendation of their faculty advisor. Students who wish to take more than 19 credit hours must receive approval from the Provost.

    Students must pay extra tuition for all hours (including ASW activities) in excess of 18.

    The Overload Approval form can be accessed on BW Central.

  • Repeated Courses and Grades

    Any course in which a grade of "C-" through "F" is received may be repeated; credit toward the degree (hours earned) may be received only once. However, the hours and quality points represented by each attempt will be included in the grade point average (GPA). See the Grade Forgiveness section for an alternative option available to undergraduate students. See Returning Student Grade Forgiveness Policy in the Returning Students section for an alternative option for students who have not attended for a minimum of 5 years.

    If a student repeats a course but is ineligible for grade forgiveness, the total number of credits the student needs to graduate will increase by however many credits the course being retaken is worth.

  • Residency

    All undergraduate students, regardless of student type or transfer status, must complete 45 credit hours of coursework at Baldwin Wallace University to receive a bachelor's degree.

    Graduate and certificate students should check with their program department for individual residency requirements.

  • Returning Students

    Former Baldwin Wallace students seeking readmission after an absence should contact the Registration & Records Office and complete the Returning Student form.

    Students with senior status (having earned 91 credits or more toward their degree) after an absence of more than three years will be subject to the institutional and departmental curricular requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

    Students with junior, sophomore or freshman status (having earned 90 credits or less toward their degree) after an absence of more than one year will be subject to the institutional and departmental curricular requirements in effect at the time of readmission. One year is defined as the completion of two consecutive semesters and one summer session.

    Students who have attended other institutions during the withdrawal period from the University must complete a Transient Student Permit form and request that an official hard copy of their transcript from their other institution(s) be sent to the Registration & Records Office. Additional instructions will be included in the Returning Student Packet that will be mailed upon submitting the Returning Student form.

    Veterans who leave Baldwin Wallace for active duty may re-enter the University within one year of discharge from the armed services under the academic requirements in effect at the time of their departure.

    A student returning to Baldwin Wallace University can request to benefit from the Returning Student Grade Forgiveness Policy. Under that policy, the student's grade point average (GPA) does not include the grades earned in prior attempts at Baldwin Wallace University.

    As part of this policy, the re-admitted student must earn the minimum number of credits mandated by the residency requirements of the University.

    All grades previously earned at Baldwin Wallace University will remain on the student's transcript, whether passing or failing, but will be marked with a code ^ explaining that these grades have been "forgiven" and were not used to calculate the student's cumulative GPA.

    Courses whose grades marked with a ^ will still be applied towards graduation requirements provided the student earned a passing grade.

    The re-admitted student must meet the following requirements to take advantage of the Returning Student Grade Forgiveness Policy:

    1. The returning student must have been separated from Baldwin Wallace University for a minimum of five years.
    2. The returning student must have either demonstrated academic improvement at another two- or four-year accredited institution by earning a minimum GPA of 2.75 for a minimum of 12 credit hours OR earned a GPA of 2.75 upon completion of 12 credit hours after being re-admitted to Baldwin Wallace University. Candidates for licensure must meet the required GPA as stipulated by their school of study. This may be higher than 2.75.


    Clarification Comment for Returning Students: An individual coming back after earning a bachelor's degree would do so as an un-matriculated student, that is taking courses not towards a degree, or pursing a second baccalaureate. An individual may not add a major to a pre-existing degree. For a second baccalaureate, the individual must take at least 30 hours and complete all requirements for the major as they exist at the time the individual seeks the second baccalaureate. The assessment of prior work is up to the chairperson of the department or his/her designee to determine which requirements may have been met by prior education or post-baccalaureate experience.

  • Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)

    In order to provide students the opportunity to explore a greater variety of academic disciplines outside their major fields and at the same time reduce the stress of competition with majors in these disciplines, Baldwin Wallace has instituted a "satisfactory-unsatisfactory" (S/U) grading system.

    Performance in a course equivalent to the traditional "A+" through "C" level will be considered satisfactory (S), while a "C-" through "F" level of performance will be deemed unsatisfactory (U). Students earning an "S" grade will receive credit toward graduation for the course. Students earning a "U" will have the grade recorded on their transcript and will not receive credit toward graduation. S/U grades do not affect the student's grade point average (GPA). The S/U option is designed to operate on two levels and may be initiated either by the faculty or by the individual student as stipulated below.

    Faculty S/U Option: The S/U option may be used, with the approval of the Curriculum Advisory Board of the College faculty, for those courses in which the department concerned feels that the students taking the course cannot be successfully graded according to the traditional "A+" through "F" system. There is no limit to the number of such courses a student may take.

    Student S/U Option: Sophomores, juniors and seniors not on academic probation may also elect a maximum of four credit hours per semester, up to a maximum of 20 credit hours, to be graded on an S/U basis. A student may take any course except those in their major or minor department, those required by their major or minor department and foundation courses (ENG 131 and the core MTH course) on an S/U basis. All other courses, including the general curriculum requirements, may be taken under the S/U option. The Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory form can be accessed on BW Central.

    If a student declares their major as undecided but, at a later date, majors in the department that a course was taken as a S/U, the professor will be asked to submit a grade and it will be calculated into the GPA.

    The decision by the student to take a course on this basis must be declared to the Office of Registration & Records by the last day of the fourth week of the term for a full semester course. Dates vary for minimester courses, so please consult the academic calendar for those courses. The student may, within the same period, nullify the election of this option. Students being graded under the S/U option must fulfill all requirements of the course.

  • Schedule Changes

    Once classes begin, students may add or drop any course through the fifth day of the semester and the third day of the minimester. Students may not withdraw from any course after the 45th day of the semester or after the 20th day of the minimester. After that time, students may apply to Petition to Withdraw with documented extenuating circumstances.

    Through the add/drop period, all students except for first-semester first-years can process schedule changes through the Student Planning tool. First-semester first-year students must make all changes with a Class Add or Class Withdrawal form through the Office of Registration & Records. These students require advisor approval for all schedule changes. After the add/drop period, all schedule changes must be processed in via Class Add or Class Withdrawal form through the Office of Registration & Records.

    Open seats are available on a first-come first-served basis.

    Failure to add a course properly will result in no credit for the course attended; failure to drop or withdraw from a course will result in a grade of F.

  • Social Work

    Baldwin Wallace University has a 3+2 affiliation with Case Western University, leading to a bachelor's degree in psychology or sociology from Baldwin Wallace and a Master's in Social Service Administration (professional social work) from Case Western Reserve University (Case). Students complete three years of study at Baldwin Wallace, meeting the requirements listed below. In the third (junior) year they apply for admission to the Senior Year in Professional Studies Program at the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences at Case.

    At the successful completion of the first year of the graduate program at Case (30 semester credit hours), Baldwin Wallace will award the B.A. Case will award the MSSA at the successful completion of the graduate program, at which time the student has the academic qualifications to test for certification as a Licensed Independent Social Worker in the State of Ohio. Persons holding a Master's in Social Service Administration and the LISW are fully qualified to supervise social service casework, manage social service agencies and establish their own private practice in counseling. For additional information regarding recommended courses of study, application of transfer credit and program residency requirements, students are urged to consult with the BW liaison person (contact the Sociology Department) or a member of the Admission counseling staff.

    Students majoring in sociology should take four or more courses in psychology. Those majoring in psychology should take four or more courses in sociology. All 3+2 students, in both majors, should work with the BW liaison person, located in the Sociology Department, as well as their regular advisors.

    Program Requirements:

    • Completion of all core requirements at BW
    • Completion of at least 33 hours in either a sociology or psychology major, with elective courses taken in the other department (student should have a strong background in both sociology and psychology)
    • GPA of 3.25 or higher
    • Minimum of 94 credit hours of undergraduate course work completed prior to admission to CWRU's Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences (students who transfer credits to BW must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours at BW)
    • At least 60 total credits a Baldwin Wallace including a minimum of 33 credits in either the sociology or psychology major (plus prerequisites where applicable).
    • Strong faculty recommendations from BW and recommendation of the BW program coordinator
    • Fulfillment of all academic and personal requirements of the Admissions Committee at the Mandel School for acceptance into the graduate program
  • Student Appeals

    Students may fill out a form with the Office of Registration & Records to appeal to the Provost for changes or exceptions to their student record. The Provost has the final say on all appeals.

    Students petitions may include but are not limited to:

    • Commencement term/year
    • Registration deadlines
    • Overload above 19 credits
    • Policy exemptions
    • Completing 1-2 courses at BW to finish their associate's degree
  • Study Abroad

    Students studying abroad must register their experience with the Center for Global Explorations. As part of this registration, students pre-select courses they wish to take and communicate with BW department chairs as to how the courses may transfer in. Before leaving, students must submit a form to Registration and Records listing the courses they will take and the approved equivalencies.

    From the time the student registers for their study abroad experience to the time Registration and Records receives their transcript, a 12 credit COL 008 will act as a placeholder on their schedule and evaluation.

    When the student returns to BW, it is their job to ensure that we receive their transcript and any relevant keys. These materials should be in English. Upon receiving the student's transcript, the office of Registration and Records will match the transcripts to the study abroad form where the courses and equivalencies are listed. Once matched, the student will receive credit. If the student took courses that were not pre-approved, the student will have to go back to the department chairs and obtain equivalencies for these new courses.

  • Transfer Credit

    The Office of Registration & Records is responsible for evaluating transfer student transcripts and recording these credits on student evaluations. Students can transfer in 60 credits from a two-year school, but there is no limit on how many credits can be transferred from a four year university. However, all students must earn 45 credits at BW to fulfill the residency requirement. Individual departments may have restrictions regarding transfer time limits or major residency requirements. In general, transfer students are required to complete 40% in their major field of study at BW. Some departments require more than 40%. A minimum of 6 credits in a student's minor must be completed at BW.

    Students coming in with an Associate's degree have their university core curriculum requirements waived and instead need to complete a shortened core with fewer requirements. Transfer students bringing in at least 25 credits have their university core curriculum requirements waived and instead complete a different (though still shortened) core.

    More transfer information can be found on the transfer admissions website.

  • Transient Courses

    Students at BW can take courses at other accredited US colleges/universities and transfer it back to BW to fulfill graduation requirements. Students must have sophomore standing and a 2.0 GPA or higher. Students must fill out a Transient Permit Form (available on BW Central) before taking courses at another institution to receive credit for transient courses.

    Students must receive a grade of C or better to transfer a course back to BW. Certain courses have already been approved by academic departments for transfer credit. If a student wishes to transfer in a course that has not been pre-approved, it is the responsibility of the student to reach out to the BW department chair associated with the course. The department chair makes the decision as to what credit the student will receive for the course.

    The student is responsible for sending their grades back to BW. Students will receive credit for transient courses only after the Office of Registration and Records has both an approved Transient Permit and the student's official transcript from the transient institution.

  • Temporary (T) Grades

    The mark "T" is given in courses which are completed over a two- or three-semester period. The "T" indicates that the course work is progressing satisfactorily. A completion date must be stipulated when the instructor submits the "T" grade. Failure to complete work by the established date will result in the grade of "F" being automatically awarded. Work which is given a "T" must be validated by a subsequent letter grade to count for credit.

    When a T grade is issued, the course moves to the "Other Courses" section of the academic evaluation. When the final grade is submitted, the course will return to the category where it applies.

  • Waitlist

    Students may not enter a closed class without permission from the Department Chair. Admission to closed classes is generally reserved for students with extenuating circumstances, who need the course to graduate that semester. Both Department Chair and Provost approval are required to bypass other students on a waitlist. All other students may place themselves on the waitlist. When a spot becomes available, the first student on the list will be notified by email and have 24 hours to register themselves for the course. If a student does not register themselves within the 24 hour window, that permission will expire and a spot will be offered to the next student on the waitlist.

  • Withdraw from a Course

    Withdrawing from a course removes the course from your schedule. The course WILL remain on your records and transcript with a W grade. W grades do not affect your GPA.

    Students may drop a full semester course during the first 9 weeks of the term, and first 4 weeks of a minimester course.

    See the Academic Calendar for exact dates.

    Students with extenuating circumstances may Petition to Withdraw after the withdrawal deadline. The "Petition to Withdraw after the Withdrawal Date" form is available on BW Central. Any possible tuition refunds will be based on the Bursar's tuition refund schedule.

  • Withdraw from University

    Students may use the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form to completely withdraw from a semester prior to the final withdrawal date for the semester (or minimester for those courses). Students may notify the University of their intent to withdraw or take a leave of absence from an upcoming term after the full-semester withdrawal date for the current term.

    The Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form is located on the BW One Stop website. Click the "Withdraw from BW" link under the "Manage Your Registration" heading.

    Withdrawals for the current term that are are filed after the stated withdrawal date instead require the student to submit a  Petition to Withdraw after the Withdrawal Date. These are available through BW Central. Petitions to Withdraw require documentation of extenuating circumstances and a personal statement.

    Refer to the Academic Calendar for deadlines to withdraw from the semester. Again, the withdrawal deadline for the semester is the same as the withdrawal deadline for individual courses.

    Your official withdrawal date from the University and all courses enrolled in during that semester will be the date this Withdrawal/Leave of Absence notification is submitted. Any possible tuition refunds will be based on the Bursar's tuition refund schedule.

  • 3/2 Engineering

    The pre-engineering program prepares Baldwin Wallace students to earn an engineering degree through educational affiliations with the engineering school of Case Western Reserve University. Upon satisfactory completion of the three-year pre-engineering program at BW and the last two years of the engineering program at the engineering school, a student receives the Bachelor of Arts degree from BW and the Bachelor of Science in their chosen field of engineering from the engineering school. Students may choose instead the option of completing any of the B.S. science majors at BW, so long as they meet the engineering school's entry requirements. Completion of the program at other recognized engineering schools is possible if prior approval of the BW pre-engineering advisor is obtained.

    Program requirements*:

    Before transferring to the engineering school, BW students must:

    • Complete the major for their Bachelor of Science
    • Earn at least 92 credits at BW
    • Meet the BW core curriculum requirements


    *Some affiliated schools have specific requirements students must complete to be admitted. Students should meet with the schools in which they are interested as well as the Pre-Engineering advisor at BW to determine how to complete these requirements.